Re: passwords not recognized when su'ing from a terminal

Alain Cochard wrote:
Andreas Bernauer writes:

 > Alain Cochard wrote on Fri, Jul 20 2007 at 11:59 (+0200):

 > > Just a few days ago, I stopped being able to 'su' or 'su
 > > some_user' from a terminal: the passwords are no longer accepted.
 > > Same problem to unlock a session (need to enter the password).

 > You may not have noticed, but the problem seems to be that PAM is
 > denying access.  Check the file /etc/pam.d/su to see why it may be
 > doing this.  My su-file looks like the one attached and is from
 > FC6.

Thanks Andreas.  Unfortunately, my /etc/pam.d/su file is exactly
identical to yours...

 > You may also want to turn on some 'debug' option flag in the pam
 > modules.  However, there is no general debug interface to PAM
 > (unfortunately).

Well, I read the pam and pam_authenticate manuals, but have no idea of
how to start on that.  It appears to be way beyond my abilities.

Any more clues, anyone?

Alain

Think about what you were doing a few days ago. Did your computer turn off wrong? Where you doing anything that might have caused pam to loose data? I looked at my /var/log/secure and it is clean with just the bare essentials reported. You do have a problem.

Karl