Re: Linux WiFi Manual

Karl Larsen wrote:

>> I have 7 different WiFi devices, including PCI, USB and PCMCIA cards.
>> All are working perfectly.
>> However, NetworkManager does not work with 3 of them.
>>
>> It is never going to work eg with the Orinoco classic PCMCIA card,
>> because (as I have said several times)
>> NM assumes that a card will scan in a certain way,
>> and this card does not scan in that way.
>> This is not necessary for WiFi to work.

> Tim: You hate NetworkManager. Please get over that.

Sigh.
I don't "hate" computer programs.
As I've said innumerable times NM is very good when it works,
but IT DOES NOT WORK WITH ALL WIFI DEVICES.

I'll send you an Orinoco PCMCIA card if you like,
and let's have $100 on your getting it to work with NM.

> I appreciate it has
> not worked for you but it works for me.

Lots of applications work with one device and don't work with another.
I would have thought that was obvious.

NM works perfectly on my ThinkPad T43.
But it doesn't work on my Athlon64 machine with a USB WiFi device.

> Your problem I think is that you
> forgot to turn off the old network application. Try it again with
> network turned off, and see if it isn't better.

Sorry, you are talking nonsense.

> Also get the NM list as
> I do and at least read the work going on to make NM better than ever.

If you look through the archives of that list (February/March 2005),
you will see that there was a long discussion started by me
about NM and Orinoco cards,
which ended with the main NM developer acknowledging
that NM did not work with this card.

> The guys working on Fedora 8 like NM and plan to use it.

Fedora developers make lots of mistakes, eg sticking with Disk Druid.

In my view NM tries to do too much,
covering Ethernet and Bluetooth as well as WiFi.
There is a lot to be said for simple programs.
As Ken Thompson said, a program should do one thing and do it well.
But that is a different issue.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366