Re: A new use for Linux

Are there any tools for recovering files in ext3 file system?

I recently deleted a old backup of a quickbooks file (which is binary
i believe) on a linux file server.  It turns out that they had been
using the backup instead of the main copy for several months.  no
backup - (save the backup early and often lectures it was a stupid
move).

On 7/19/07, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Marc wrote:
> There are also linux distros like Helix which are designed to
> facilitate file recovery.  They give you a lot of tools to do
> different mount options and basically allow you to search files on the
> disk, copy whatever files you want to another part of the filesystem,
> then save them whereever including external usb devices.
>
> Marc
>

> On 7/19/07, alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>
>> > My brother-in-law uses Windows XP and his system crashed making his
>> > Documents unavailable. He saw how expensive disk recovery could be when
>> > a local Linux user volunteered to recover the documents for him.
>> >
>> > Now here is a whole new use for Linux and there is money in it
>> > somewhere.
>>
>> Not that new.  I have used a Ubintu disc and a USB drive to recover
>> Windows files in the past.  Not that difficult.  Works great.  (There are
>> also Linux distros for breaking passwords on Windows boxes.)
>>
>> --
>> "ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
>> ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct
>> assignment in ANSI C is a violation of ANSI C..."
>>                                    - Alan Cox
>>
>> --

I have used OpenOffice on Linux to open files that just won't open on
Windows in Office.  This is always a great think when it is your boss's
report that refuses to be open and has to be submitted in 10 minutes.

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.