Re: Distro hopping again: freespire

:
> On 19/07/07, Mike Chambers <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 07:37 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>> > I have turned those off, of course. Other Linux distros, even those
>> > without a firewall or SELinux, such as Ubuntu, also cannot connect.
>>
>> Is there a way to get this video to be connected from outside the
>> network, or is there a copy of it somewhere to see if it's the
>> network/proxy or if it's video/client-side related?
>>
>> Guess I am getting at, letting few of us have access to it to test if we
>> can view it or not or something.
>
> Thanks, Mike. I think that you can access some of the videos from here:
> http://video.technion.ac.il/Setup/
>
> Try on a Windows box first, if you can, to confirm that they are
> available from where you are. I'll check as well, as soon as I can get
> out of here :) ....

Based on the errors I saw I googled this:

''...Playing mms://enmms.chinabroadcast.cn/new/lang/ch/daily/haojile.wma.
STREAM_ASF, URL: mms://enmms.chinabroadcast.cn/new/lang/ch/daily/haojile.wma
Resolving enmms.chinabroadcast.cn for AF_INET...
Connecting to server enmms.chinabroadcast.cn[219.142.120.30]: 1755...
Connected
read error:: Operation now in progress
pre-header read failed
Resolving enmms.chinabroadcast.cn for AF_INET...

> [...] or that you're not granted access to those files.

As far as I can tell, the site is publicly accessible. So
like Wanderer I suspect the problem may be an issue with the
server not supporting non-MS players.
...''

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2006-January/057664.html

Seems you could maybe try to find someone responsible for configuring
the media server thing and asking if they reject non-MS clients.  Either
that or it still rejects to send to outside IPs (I did not check it on
Windows).

-Andy