Re: Changing permissions in /dev

Mark Knoop wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
Mark Knoop wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
   Yes. I read several messages on this list that said applications are
not working if they are sending data to /dev/dsp. I have this problem
too. If you look at the permission with ls -l it has my login then root
and then that stupid sticky bit thing. When I call /dev/dsp with a GUI
device the permissions are changed it seems.
I think your problem is much more likely to be that another application
is already using /dev/dsp

What is the output of '/usr/sbin/lsof /dev/dsp' when you have this
problem?
   It just stops with no output.

 A better solution is to configure applications to use ALSA so
that you can have multiple sound sources playing simultaneously.
Alsa mixer is used by this application. It should work but I have a bug
in on this too.

If it is really using alsa, then it would not be sending anything to
/dev/dsp. Perhaps you could tell us the precise symptoms of your problem
instead of vaguely saying there's a bug in everything.

Here is the whole story, the part I know about. The application gmfsk comes up normally on F7 and data from the receiver on my Ham radio goes through the sound card and to the screen on the application. I can adjust the amount of signal to the application with the Alsa Mixer. This works fine.

Now I click that I want to send data to the radio transmitter. This sends a change on the serial port which I fixed with joining the uucp group, and it tries to send the data through /dev/dsp going out of the sound card, but the application puts up a panel that says Can't open /dev/dsp Busy. And that is that. I have not been able to get it working.

Karl