Re: New issues with Sending email: related to Domain name transfer?

Tim:
>> My experience is that it takes about a week for a new domain name to
>> make it's way across the world. If it has been less than a week just
>> relax and it will happen.

Linus Ulrick:
> So, you are saying that even though http://www.afolkey2.net is now
> accessible by it's domain name, that different, oh let's say
> "functions" of my domain will take different amounts of time to become
> useable again?  If that is so, that's cool.

My experience is that *new* domains take a much shorter time for lookups
to succeed than Karl's suggest.  But, *changes* to domains may take a
while to ripple through, as things may have cached the prior answers for
a while.  Once any cached answers are flushed, the current ones will be
found.

> I must restate, though, that the thing that confuses me is how my
> registrar, in two different locations, shows two different sets of
> nameservers.

It's usual to have more than one nameserver providing records for your
domain.  If one goes wonky, they other can answer queries.

Looking up your domain name:

[tim@bigblack bin]$ dig afolkey2.net

; <<>> DiG 9.4.1 <<>> afolkey2.net
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;afolkey2.net.                  IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
afolkey2.net.           102     IN      A       74.134.123.247

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
afolkey2.net.           102     IN      NS      ns2.dnsexit.com.
afolkey2.net.           102     IN      NS      ns1.dnsexit.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.dnsexit.com.        172493  IN      A       63.223.76.173
ns2.dnsexit.com.        172493  IN      A       64.182.102.188

;; Query time: 30 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.2#53(192.168.1.2)
;; WHEN: Thu Jul 19 15:39:13 2007
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 125

The answer section shows your IP, the authority section shows the name
servers that host your domain records, the additional section has
resolved the addresses for those domain servers.

Doing further digs on your domain, I see the www. subdomain is a CNAME
pointing to your domain name (that's quite usual), and you have no MX
record for your domain.  That's also not unusual, but not brilliant.
You really should have one that refers to the machine that handles
receiving mail for your domain.

Looking up ipowerweb.com also gets an answer, not a 192.168.1.1 one.

[tim@bigblack bin]$ dig +short ipowerweb.com
216.69.226.51

You might want to play with the dig tool testing the domains that aren't
working for you, and querying different DNS servers to see what they
think.  Use @ followed by the name server address to query (with no
space between them), else it'll use your /etc/resolv.conf configured
name servers.

e.g. dig @ns1.dnsexit.com afolkey2.net

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr