Re: how to make cron run gaim under my X session?

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> > Hi, I use gnome-schedule as a gui for cron but I can't make it start
>

> Hi Mikkel,
>
> I tried playing with at command and I can't make it start when I want to.
>
> gaim | at now +1 minute
> - this starts gaim right away

You are trying to start gain, and pipe the output from gaim into the
at command. This is not the way to use the at command.

> echo 'gaim'|at now + 1 minute
> - this does nothing

Trying to do the same thing.

> making a script called "start" and giving it +x and then:
> at -f start now +1 minute
> - does nothing.

Your script probably does not have the prroper settings for
XAUTHORITY and DISPLAY.

> I tried reading man and googling but I can't find an answer how to
> start gaim every day at 8:15 under my username "pero" that I log in.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Valent.

A quick, cheap, and dirty script to be run when you stat the GUI -
not tested.

================== cut ===============
#!/bin/bash
#
# A script to create a script to run GAIM at 8:15 am.
#
script-file=~/gaim-start.sh

if [ -z $XAUTHORITY ] ; then
	echo XAUTHORITY in not set!
	exit 1
fi

if [ -z $DISPLAY ] ; then
	echo DISPLAY is not set!
	exit 1
fi

echo \#\!/bin/bash > $script-file
echo XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY >> $script-file
echo DISPLAY=$DISPLAY >> $script-file
echo gaim >> $script file

at -f $script-file 8:15 am

This script only runs gain once, but if you have it run when you do
a GUI login, and you log out every night, and back in every morning,
it should do the job. Otherwise, you could add a command to run this
script again at the end of the gaim-start.sh script. (echo
start-script.sh >> $script-file) But this will also try to start
gain when you are not logged in...

To do things properly, you should probably cancel the at job when
you log out...

Mikkel