Re: Change in ls -l time stamp display?

On 17/07/07, Pete Geenhuizen <pgeenhuizen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, July 17, 2007 07:36, Karl Larsen wrote:

> If it loads it is good I thought. I looked at man ls and it seems
> to be the same one from FC6 so far as I can see. What you show is the
> same thing from FC6 and F7 the difference being the date. On FC6 you get
> a USA standard date. On F7 you get the European date and that looks
> different. Both are accurate I think and I like the looks of the F7 line
> better :-)
I'm not disputing it's accuracy.
I checked the man pages.
I didn't ask for, didn't select, nor do I live in Europe, no offense, but  I
have no interest in European time display.

None of you suggestions or comments address my question, and if I preferred
the f7 output I wouldn't have brought it up, I obviously prefer the old
listing which has been that way in every Unix version that I've worked on
for the past 25 years.

It's been suggested that you alias ls or look at LC_TIME.
I'd just like to point out 2007-07-17 is ISO, not European
format; in full the European format would be 17th July 2007.
<http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/datefmt.htm>

We should really just throw away all ambiguity and
stick with seconds since epoch. (Bad idea.)

--
imalone