Re: Laptop new

Andrew Kelly wrote:
On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 20:08 -0400, Marc wrote:
which linux ?

On 7/16/07, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    I was watching the advertisers on Google and was surprised to see
Dell and H/P offer laptops with Linux as the OS and WiFi working! This
is a new and good thing for getting Linux into the hands of plain people
:-)

Karl

And why would you want it in the hands of plain people?

People tend to find things when they are ready for them, or when they
become interested in them. Either way, they are either prepared to put
forth some effort or are already doing so. Our world today already has too much spoon-feeding going on, why would
we want to add to it?

A chain saw is a great tool for many things. But would you hand one to
your 4-year-old, just because he's got fingers?

Linux isn't by any stretch of the imagination some lonely, under
appreciated bit of "computer stuff" that needs a fan club to clap and
cheer for it at a pep rally.
It's thriving, and doing so in no small part because the point and grunt
crowd already has colourful things to play with.

The "plain people" you refer to, Karl, have had access to Linux since
it's birth; that has pretty much been the soul of the system since it
evolved past the stage of being graded by a crusty old professor.

When people want it, it will be there for them. It's pointless and deconstructionist to *put* it in the hands of the
uninterested, the unknowing, or those unwilling to make any effort at
all on their own behalf.

Just my opinion, though, apologies if it ruffles any feathers.

Andy

My first Linux was the very first Slackware issue and it was on like 5 floppies and of course no X window. Been using Linux since then. Now it's a good imitation of Windows and it is certain Windows is moving towards Linux. I want others to learn how nice it is without having to load it on their computer.

Karl