Re: [F7] Automatic adding of mount points

vvmarko@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, I seem to have missed the
> answer.
>
> Under FC4 I would plug in the USB flash drive, and see in
> /var/log/messages that it is autodetected as /dev/sd*, and then the mount
> point /media/whatever being created and assigned to it. After that, I
> would just type
>
> $ mount /media/whatever
>
> (as an ordinary user, not root) to have the device mounted, if I wish.
> That was the default behavior in FC4, but not in FC6 or F7. Now I have to
> mkdir a mount point, su to root, then mount -t vfat /dev/sda /somewhere,
> chown the files to my username, and then use the device. Possible, but
> painful --- I got used to all that being automatic... :-(
>
> So, how do I get that behavior back? I want it to work for all devices I
> might  plug in, including USB flash drives, CDs, DVDs, external HDs, etc.
>
> Best regards, :-)
> Marko

If you are logged into X, it should mount it as well, unless you
have auto-mounting turned off. From the command line, you can use
gnome-mount. (gnome-mount -d /dev/sda1) There are several ways to
tell gnome-mount what you want to mount. By default, it will create
the mount point in /media for you. You run gnome-mount as a normal user.

I have run into problems when the partition on a USB hard drive, or
a pen drive did not have a label/name. But I think an update fixed
that. (I have everything labeled right now, so I can not check...)

Mikkel