Re: Smartd Logs

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 08:05:08 -0600,
  Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Clovis Tristao wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >
> >After installing Fedora 7, they are appearing the messages below, in
> >log:
> >
> >--------------------- Smartd Begin ------------------------
> >Currently unreadable (pending) sectors detected:
> >    /dev/sdb - 48 Time(s)
> >    2987 unreadable sectors detected
> >
> >Offline uncorrectable sectors detected:
> >    /dev/sda - 48 Time(s)
> >    10 offline uncorrectable sectors detected
> >    /dev/sdb - 48 Time(s)
> >    2987 offline uncorrectable sectors detected
> >
> >---------------------- Smartd End -------------------------
> >Why appear this messages? I'm worried.
> >

> >Another question, because the system changed the recognition of the
> >HD-IDE of hda for sda? Thanks a lot,
> >
> >Clóvis
> >

>    First, with Fedora 7 /dev/hdb1 becomes /dev/sdb1. You are looking at
> the root messages and mine have the same sort of thing saying it can't
> find something. I expect it is a bug but I would have trouble writing
> one for this.
>
>    Do not worry if your system comes up and works :-)

That is really bad advice.

Clóvis, needs to find out what is causing the problem and if he can't, he
should at the very least be prepared to have to replace his disk on short
notice using a relatively current back up of his system.

3000 sectors is only a small fraction of a modern disk so it is not hard to
believe that the system could still appear to be functioning with that
many bad sectors. However, if the message is correct, his disk is essentially
toast and he should immediately do a back up and replace the disk.

I have seen some reports on the smartmontools list where a recent kernel
change may be causing some problems, but I don't think the symptoms
correspond to what Clóvis is seeing.

Clóvis, my adice to you is to immediately back up your system (or at least
the files you care about). After that, what you do next depends on how valuable
your data is. Probably you should just buy another disk and set the old
one aside in case any of your important files were corrupted and you need
to make heroic recovery attempts later. If you have more time than money and
your data isn't very important, you might try running badblocks off a live
cd and using it to rewrite and test all of the sectors on your disk, and
then use smartctl to look at whether the sectors were reallocated and
whether or not you disk thinks that too many were to continue using the disk.