Re: Can't install mplayer - dependency problems

Frank Cox wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 01:43:16 -0400
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

These packages aren't on the Fedora 7 DVD.  Since my local fedora.repo
is built from that DVD, the files can't obviously be found.  Why aren't
those packages on the DVD?

The Fedora repo is larger than what you can fit onto a DVD.  Therefore, the DVD
contains only a subset of the actual available rpm's that are in the Fedora
repo.

I suppose you could go to one of the actual repo mirrors and download
everything there onto your local fileserver, but I don't know if you would gain
much overall due to the amount of downloading that you would have to do.  But
that is an option.

There is also some tools to help reposync and http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/fedora-mirror {might not be useful for F7}.

Because I don't want to download Everything, I made a script that:
- rsyncs from my nearest {own ISP's} fedora/Everything repodata to subfolder of the /var/cache/yum/fedora/repodata folder - makes a link called /var/cache/yum/fedora/Fedora pointing to the /var/cache/yum/fedora/packages folder.
- yum -y update this internal mirror.
- vsftpd anon share the yum folder.

Any package that I put on other internal machines, I also install on the mirror, so that the update will pull all packages only that my machines actually use. When I try something new out, I install it first on the mirror - {yum.conf keepcache=1}, which makes it available for the other machines to download.

DaveT.