Re: Asking for advice regarding scanning a textbook

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:58:24 +0100 Paul Smith wrote:
> Subject: Asking for advice regarding scanning a textbook
> To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Dear All,
>
> I need to scan a textbook, black and white. Could someone please
> advice me about the settings (resolution, brightness, etc.) in order
> to get a small pdf file?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

There's a package called unpaper that can do all sorts of cleanup on
scanned images: splitting a 2-page (open-book) image into 2 files,
getting rid of borders, deskewing, and so forth. It might be useful for
your application, though it takes a bit of experimentation to get the
option values right. I briefly mentioned it on FDP a few weeks back:

http://dailypackage.fedorabook.com/index.php?/archives/78-.html

The upstream website is:

http://unpaper.berlios.de/

--