Re: Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

> On Friday, July 13, 2007 12:34 pm Tomas Larsson wrote:
> > No, currently Linux will never beat Windows.
> > It's to complicated, an average home or office user will never get it to
> > work.
> > So personally I would not recommend anyone, who isn't a geek to use it.
> >
> > I have tried my self a couple of times to install and run Linux on desktop,
> > allways ended up with a no-go.
> > Everytime I have ended up with bying full non-oem XP licence's instead.
> > I do run it on my servers though.
> >
> > XP I can get up and running regardless of hardware in say 30 min's Linux
> > takes considerably longer time (days, weeks, months in some cases).
> >
> > XP has basically everything, without hassle, extremly stable (basically
> > never crashes). Antivirus software is not an issue really. You probably
> > need it on linux as well, at least in the near future.
> >
> > If you buy a preloaded PC, you probably have everything you need, for basic
> > home use.
> > It is cheaper for most people to purchase a valid XP license than spending
> > hours to get a linux-box to work.
> > Similar with Office, its cheaper to buy MS Office than spending time to get
> > Open Officce or whatever thay are called to work.
> >
> > You can easilly fool yourself with the pricetag on any software, but time
> > is monney, allways.
> > Regarding MS support, well, those few times I have been forced to use it,
> > it is very good.
> >
> > Personally, however I don't like MS-Office especially MS-Word, I love
> > WordPerfect, but last time I tested it it was extremly buggy, anyone that
> > knows how it is today, with the latest version?

I don't know what planet this person is from but it isn't earth.

I've installed FC on four or five computers over the last several years
and had few problems. Installation took 30-45 minutes or so, depending
on how many packages were installed. I've had similar experiences with
other distros.

I just installed Fedora 7 on my Toshiba satellite laptop - it dual boots
Windows XP Pro. Of course, I had to install Linux on this machine
because Windows XP Pro doesn't work with the built-in ethernet and also
doesn't work with the wireless pc-card (installing the latest driver
does no good - I can't have the wireless card plugged in when XP boots
because is ALWAYS crashes within about 30 seconds with the card plugged
in - so much for XP not crashing!).

And no, you don't need antivirus software on Linux but it's essential on
the ill-conceived Windows OS.

I've had many other experiences where Windows JUST DOESN'T work or work
well. Among them, we couldn't get wireless networking on one new Sony
laptop to work with the university network - there was some problem with
the built-in wireless card. It did work with Linux (although not as well
as we would have liked - but we could use it under Linux and not under
Windows).

In summary, if you can't install and use Linux at home or the office,
you probably can't use Windows either.

Rick