Resouce Hungry - FC7 OR XP/Vista

Hello!
           I've read stories that someone configured his 486 or pentium 1 mechine as a mail server or a router for his small office and it works well. It shows that by excluding unnecessary packages you can do exactly what you want without putting extra load on the system. It is also a plus point for Linux that it isn't "much" resource hungry then Window$ but the question arose at the word "much". If it's not more then windows then how much it is? and how we can calculate it when we got a new version after every 6 months?

Can anyone tell me that how much resources F7 consumes for it CORE OPERATIONS. Can a common guy who is not even a semi-geek nor an IT man and has a Pentium II with 128 SDRAM at his home for normal home usage afford having F7(X-Window) or later ones on his machine.

Is Fedora best for guys upgrading their systems every year or is it also a solution for poor people having old systems?

--
Mustafa Qasim
Lahore, Pakistan