Re: f7 update broke lots of stuff

Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 11Jul2007 15:18, Ken Dyke <ken_i_m@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Ran yum update about an hour ago.  First update in about a week.
| | The frames around windows is missing. I can't move a window with the
| mouse.  I have only one desktop (workspace icon on the task bar is
| missing).  In fact, there are no buttons on the taskbar for running
| programs....

Your window manager isn't running.

Try typing "twm" or "fvwm" or any of a few other window managers.  They won't
be what you are used to, but at least you will have window borders and titles
etc and be able to move stuff around while you figure out what went wrong
with the update.

I had this happen to an account on an FC7 machine the other day. I ended up moving all the config files from ~/{user} and logging in again. I think it was related to a config file corruption during one of the xorg freezes during the logout process.

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.