Re: F7: Can't Start X

Dave Cross escribió:

That's when it went wrong. The boot sequence got as far as starting X
when it hung. Further investigation shows that I can boot into
runlevel 3, but it hangs when I run startx. There don't seem to be any
error logs written.

During the boot sequence I see a couple of error messages that mention
not being able to access /dev/hda5. That bothers me as I thought that
all disk devices were /dev/sdaX in F7.

Ahhh?!?!

sdaX are SCSI or SATA disks. IDE disks should still be hdaX. What do you have in hda5? See /etc/fstab.

If it helps, the laptop is a Philips X51[1]. But I recently learnt
that it's actually a rebadged Twinhead D12[2].

Maybe the problem is related to the partition that is giving you problems. Else, I would try with the vesa driver (crappy, but it almost always works).

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA