Re: Installation over existing LVM

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 13:35:15 Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 July 2007 11:03:31 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> > > However the only detected the drive is the LVM one. LVM are refused for
> > > /boot The partition RAID is not detected.
> >
> > What do you mean by "detected"?
>
> The RAID partition is not seen. Only the third drive using LVM is present
> in Fedora installation.
>
> > It would be easier to follow what you are saying
> > if you used cut-and-paste to give the actual command you use
> > and the response.
>
> I cannot : during Fedora installation from DVD so access  / mount on my
> disks yet.
>
> > > To resume can I install Fedora-7 on LVM without /boot (because refused
> > > on LVM) as I intend to create a stanza on /boot (on other disks with
> > > RAID-1) ?
> >
> > As far as I know, you cannot boot from an LVM /boot partition.
>
> I agree. This is the problem (or at least part of).
>
> > Incidentally, how did you set up LVM?
> > I thought one normally set up LVM on a partition, eg sda1,
> > but you seem to have set it up on sda.
>
> LVM can be setup on both. But I just re-read howtos and it seems that
> setting LVM on partition (ie. /dev/sdb4) versus all disk (ie. /dev/sdb) is
> preferred because can ease LVM detection by others OS.
> I'll follow this remark and keep the honorable mailing list in touch :-)
>
> Bye,
> Bruno
>
> > However, I hasten to add that I know very little about LVM,
> > although I do use it.
> >
> > --
> > Timothy Murphy
> > e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> > tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
> > s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

Now it works fine.
Hereafter what I did (I'm not sure this the best or shortest way...however it
works fine)

On the third disk I created a partition +1GB type Linux. The remaining space
is type LVM on which I created a logical volume 'fedora-7' (space 15GB) for
Fedora.
I proceed Fedora-7 installation by specifying :
--- partition 1GB  with mount point /boot
--- logical volume 'fedora-7' with mount point /
*without* any MBR or grub installation.

After installation I have a /boot with needed Fedora-7 files.
I modified my current existing grub (installed on my first partition) to add a
stanza for Fedora-7 which specify root= ..etc.. pointing to LVM logical
volume containing the / of Fedora.
After reboot on grub menu I can choose Fedora-7 and boot on it.

Bye,
Bruno