Re: OT: The optimal time to buy RAM

Ed Greshko wrote:

On 7/10/07, alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When my previous computer was 4 years old, the RAM memory for it was
rarely available and, when available, was expensive. Now, I have a new
computer, one year old. Could someone please help me with determining
the right time to buy new memory in order to buy it the cheapest
possible?
One to two weeks before you actually buy it.  The universe has an
automatic need detector that jacks up the price a week before you get the
order in.

Not only that...  It is the type of question one needs a crystal ball to
answer.  First off, the OP doesn't indicate if the computer is a laptop or
desktop.  It makes a substantial difference as the form factor of laptop
memory is forever changing while a desktop's remain fairly static.

Definitely a factor.  Fortunately most laptop memory is generic
now, but if you need proprietary modules they will go up in
price once production stops and people need them for legacy
systems.  The effect is the same for generic modules, but their
production runs will be longer.  The price of the current
generation fluctuates, I was going to say I hadn't noticed it
dropping much per meg for the past few years, only getting
faster, but a quick survey suggests the time to buy RAM is now
(Vista effect?):

2004-02-04
Manufacturer : CRUCIAL
Product : 512MB 184DIMM PC3200 NP CL3
Quicklinx : 2LGMWS
Quantity : 1
Price exc VAT : £50.20
Price inc VAT : £58.98

2006-08-12
Manufacturer : CORSAIR
Product : 512MB 240DIMM PC2-5300 CAS5
Quicklinx : 3NVBWS
Quantity : 2
Price exc VAT : £62.96
Price inc VAT : £73.97

2007-07-10
Corsair Memory 512MB 240pin DIMM non-ECC unbuffered CL5 667MHz
quicklinx: 3NVBWS | mfr#: VS512MB667D2
5.0* 	  	In stock now 	£13.26

Of course this is a bit misleading: 2004 is DDR (the then
new generation), 2006 is DDR2 when AM2 was replacing
Socket 939 and 2007 is once DDR2 production has settled
down (and in the post Vista lull, esp. when demand for
512MB modules will have dropped).

Anyway:
FWIW, I tend to simply buy the maximum RAM possible for my systems at the
time I configure them.  Why?  Because I want to maximize the systems
potential.  I would probably buy a spare as well...but not always.

If you want to talk about economics, the time to buy RAM
is when you can afford it for the return it makes.
For me it's not worth it to max out my system, but I'll
buy it when I need it; waiting for the price to fall is
usually just guessing.

--
imalone