Re: a couple more questions about Mailman

Scott Berry wrote:
> I passed the hurdle of getting the aliases file created but there is
> something I don't understand here.  Where in the world do I put the
> stuff that goes in the httpd.conf file.

Actually, you shouldn't have to do any configuration there to have
things working.  The Fedora mailman package installs a file in
/etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman.conf.  The files in that directory are
included in the apache config by default.  So, the needed settings are
already included for you.  You can check out that file to see how
they've been set, and you might even want to change the line at the
bottom of that file to have http://www.pilotalk.com/mailman redirect

> About the private archives I need these for a couple of internal
> lists so I want to ensure my cgi's are not running under mailman.
> Here is what the instructions say:
>
> Warning: You want to be very sure that the user id under which your
> CGI scripts run is not in the mailman group you created above,
> otherwise private archives will be accessible to anyone.
> What type of users would these go under?

You shouldn't need to change anything here either.  The cgi's will be
run as user apache and the apache user is not in the mailman group.

> Then I think I will be set up.  Or pretty darned close.

You're even closer than you think. :)

> Here is my httpd.conf for you to ensure I have everything right
> there too please.  I also have a web site going with Drupal Cms so I
> want to make sure I do this right.

I don't know if there's any Drupal specific config that is needed or
not.  There is one thing that jumps out at me though:

<Directory/>
Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
</Directory>

First, there is a space missing between Directory and the /.  Second,
the intent of the default config for / is to be very restrictive -
this is the filesystem / we're talking about here, not the toplevel of
your webroot.  The rule above would most anything to be overridden in
a .htaccess file.  I'd revert that back to the default:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

I'm also not sure that you want or need the "AddModule mod_rewrite.c"
line.  The rewrite module should work without that (it does for me).

The American people are becoming more and more afraid of, and are
running away from, their own revolution.
    -- Leonard E. Read