Re: Squid Alternative?

On 7/9/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Devon Harding wrote:

> On 7/9/07, *Les Mikesell* <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx >> wrote:
>
>     Devon Harding wrote:
>      > I'm looking for a redirector like Squid for incoming access based on
>      > host name.  I normally use xinet.d, but that only has a one to one
>      > mapping. I would like the redirector route traffic based on the host
>      > name of the target.
>
>     You can only do this for http, where the host name is passed in a header
>     from the client.  Apache can do it if you create named virtual hosts
>     that use the ProxyPass directive or a RewriteRule with the [P] flag to
>     proxy the requests to a backend server.  You'll also need a
>     ProxyPassReverse directive configured to fix redirects issued by the end
>     server.
>

> Maybe thats what I need to do, as I need for the same server doing the
> proxying to accept http request as well

Yes, apache can sort this out itself.  If anything else accepts port 80
you'd have to also have a special case to redirect even the local host,
perhaps to apache on an alternate port.

--

Ok, got it working, but it seems to be redirecting even the localhost.  How can I get the localhost to answer and proxy all other hosts.  Here is my config:

NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.domain.com
ProxyPass / http://www.domain.com/