Re: Fedora 7 wireless connection woes with Intel Pro/set wireless 3945abg

On 09/07/07, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
peedee wrote:

> i just installed fedora and i like it so far, but i&#039;m having
> trouble with connecting wirelessly.
>
> fedora apparently recognizes the card because the device is listed as
> intel pro/wireless or something like that.
>
> when i try to "activate" it with the network configuration tool i get
> this:
>
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
>     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
> Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
>     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
>
> Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.
> i have tried plugging in my settings for one of my home wireless
> routers, but it does not help
>

> also as another note, when i installed i told fedora to set up the
> firewall and the selinux, though i wasnt completely sure as to what
> it was.
> everytime i attempted to connect it would pop up and say it blocked
> something and the connection attempt would fail. i disabled a bunch
> of settings for the firewall and selinux and now it doesnt pop up
> anymore but i dont know if this may have something to do with it
> either

    The problems your having with Selinux are typical. It would be best
to turn it off until you get it set up.

This might be worthwhile, the OP should check that their SE Linux
settings in security are set to disabled.  This requires a reboot.  The
firewall is very unlikely to have any bearing on their problems
(certainly no default setting would affect this).

    Please do a #lspci and find your wireless hardware in the list. Let
us know what it is. If it is a Intel device your kernel should have the
proper drivers.

The OP does not mention their chipset in the email, but it is in the
subject line: IntelPro 3945abg.  Of course one possible cause for
their problem is that they're not using the chipset they think they
are.

    Please try #modprobe ipw2200 and see if it loads.

This is the wrong driver for that chipset.  The correct drivers
are iwl3945 or ipw3945.
http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi
http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/