Fedora 7 wireless connection woes with Intel Pro/set wireless 3945abg

allright, a linux user of about a year now, mostly in ubuntu, but some
eperience in sabayon, and a few other distros

i just installed fedora and i like it so far, but i'm having
trouble with connecting wirelessly.

fedora apparently recognizes the card because the device is listed as
intel pro/wireless or something like that.

when i try to "activate" it with the network configuration tool i get
this:

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.
i have tried plugging in my settings for one of my home wireless
routers, but it does not help

i have also tried using various wireless connection managers such as
wifiradar and kwifimanager (doesnt find any networks)

when i try to use the system launcher for wireless assistant most of
the time i get an unknown error and it doesnt load

when i launch it manaually, it will load, find my home router, but
will not connect.

knetwork manager says that it is not running, and it cannot find an
active device, though currently i am using my lan and it is active...

also as another note, when i installed i told fedora to set up the
firewall and the selinux, though i wasnt completely sure as to what
it was.
everytime i attempted to connect it would pop up and say it blocked
something and the connection attempt would fail. i disabled a bunch
of settings for the firewall and selinux and now it doesnt pop up
anymore but i dont know if this may have something to do with it
either
so im stumped, and really want this to work. if anyone has any advice
or has come up with the same problem let me know
thanks in advance

pd

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=184660&topic_id=40687&forum=33#forumpost184660
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and/or blame pdoucet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx