Re: flustered with fonts

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 19:13:28 -0500
greg wm <gmott@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> there's hopefully a very simple solution like add font specs to some
> commandlines or something.  can anyone enlighten me enough so i can know
> where to look?

There is a simple thing you can try that may or may not work.
Try loading this X resource in the vnc server before starting
any other apps:

Xft.dpi: 96

You may need to fiddle the value depending on your display, 96 seems
to work for me.

Also, if you are just running the apps in the vnc server, and not a
full gnome or kde session, you'll find lots of background nonsense
doesn't get started, and some of it influences the way fonts look.
For instance, I hate running the full-blown gnome, but I have to
run this stuff from my .xsession file to get the font properties
set right for gtk apps:

if [ -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ]
then
   echo .xsession starting dbus
   eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
else
   echo dbus already started
fi
#
# Tricky bit - the /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon program is good to
# run to revive the font settings, but it also revives all sorts of
# useless crap I don't want, so start it, wait a bit and then remove
# all the crap it adds to the xrdb database.
#
/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
sleep 5
xrdb -all -remove

> specifically,
> what are the fonts thunderbird uses when displaying on my X screen?
> what are the fonts thunderbird uses when displaying in Xvnc?
> where may i specify the fonts i want so they become the same?

These are questions far beyond the ability of any mortal to answer
(come to think of it, they are probably beyond the ability of any
Gods or supernatural creatures to answer as well :-).