Re: laptop security - encryption - does not work cleanly on F7

Mail List wrote on Sunday 08 July 2007:

>                    root is a non-starter -

What do you mean by this?

>  First problem was if fstab has fsck on - then on booting the
> /etc/crypttab triggers a pass-phrase request - which appears to work
> (small yay) - next fsck fails with bad superblock error. I suspect the
> fsck is done on /dev/sdaX instead of /dev/mapper/xx. Obvisously this
> cannot work.

I do not believe, that fsck is performed on /dev/sdaX. fsck runs on the
partition you have specified in fstab - in this case /dev/mapper/xx

> I edited fstab to skip any fsck - now boot proceeds further - then it
> says re-mounting read write - now it prompts for pass phrase a second
> time (bug?).

May it be that you have several encrypted partitions and that you enter
passwords in wrong order?...

Can you post your crypttab and fstab here?

> That seems to fail anyway in that /dev/mapper/xx is not
> created and thus the mount fails. Boot proceeds ok - but ends with no
> /dev/mapper/xx and /home cannot be mounted.

What error message do you see?

>  Given the importance of laptop security these days I do so hope this
> can be made to work smoothly and so would very much appreciate some
> help.

You might find it useful:
http://www.familie-prokop.de/cryptofs/index_en.html

--