Re: Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 17:34 +0100, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 05:28pm on Sunday, July 08, 2007 (UK time), Les Mikesell scrawled:
>
> > Which still leaves open the question of how many times you have to pay
> > to license the same patent for the same device, or whether you can
> > rearrange the bits in one licensed program?
>
> Never!  As a user you do not buy a licence for the patent - you would
> only do that if you were going to manufacturei (code)  and distribute
> something that uses the patented process.  As a user you get a licence
> to run the software (and maybe do other things with it, e.g. the GNU
> licence).

So, under this stricture, the folks who race cars, modifying the engine
by changing the valve train, exhaust, modify the carburator or injection
system add superchargers and do other things to boost performance are
patent violators?

A radio amatuer who takes an AM radio apart, uses the capacitor, and
transistors to build a new receiver for the amatuer bands, is a patent
violator?

A boy who takes his bicycle apart, changes the stroke length on the
pedals, modifies the handlebars, and changes the seat by some means is a
patent violator?

A man who buys a volkswagen bug, strips off the body, modifies the brake
system and adds a roll cage to make a dune buggy is a patent violator?

A person who uses the Microsoft C compiler to create a new OS is a
patent violator?

And if it is OK to modify and engine, or a car or even a radio, then why
not a computer program?  Is software hacking more illegal than hardware
hacking?  And is computer hardware and software hacking subject to
strictures not imposed on other hardware in our possession?

Are derivative patents then not valid?  For instance, the frontwheel
drive was originally developed by the Cord in the US.  Are then all
users of frontwheel drive subject to patents held by the Cord or the
companies that inherited the Cord patents and records?  Superchargers
were first on Dusenbergs.  Does that mean all superchargers have to pay
a royalty to the Dusenbergs?  I suspect they would like to hear that.

I'm just a bit incredulous.  I have been around a while, and these are
all things I have seen done, with no legal actions.  The ackerman
linkage that changes tire angle depending on which side of the turn the
tire is on is a unique and non-obvious use of levers.  It is used on
every single car that I know of.  How many are licensing that patent?

I'm just curious.  And clearly confused.

Regards,
Les H