Re: WiFi on Fedora laptops

Erich Zigler wrote:
On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 03:49:53PM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

This is hard because we lack some essential data, and no place to find it. The first step is to name your wifi hardware on your computer.

I don't follow. I find once you know what chipset your wireless card
is wireless on Fedora is quite painless. For instance if I have a
Linksys WMP54GS I type in to Google...

linux linkys wmp54gs and it pops up in the first couple pages
ndiswrapper and that it is a bcm43xx chipset. From the ndiswrapper
pages I can figure out how to setup and configure the wireless driver.
If I choose to dig deeper I can search for linux bcm43xx and get a lot
of information on this issue. In addition I can do that with any
wireless card. My current card is of the Atheros chipset and if I type
in atheros linux I get madwifi. Do a search for madwifi rpm and I get
livna. It's really not that difficult, just takes some research skills
and the ability to type.

The second step is to determine which module(s) you need and what to call the main one. I was fooling around with ipw2200 when what I needed was ANOTHER kernel and the magic name ath_pci Is there anywhere a person can get this information? I don't even know what to call it :-!

Please see above. If using one of the madwifi kernel module packages
from livna or freshrpms the user should not need to know ath_pci even
exists. I wouldn't call it a magic word by any stretch of the
imagination as the rpm's insert it in to modprobe.conf for you.

I can get my atheros card setup in 3 easy steps.

1. Install livna RPM to enable that repository.
2. Run yum install kmod-madwifi
3. Run system-network-config

I am sorry you are having so much difficulty.

- Erich

Sorry Erich you don't even have any knowledge of the problem.

Karl