Re: MADWIFI

on 7/7/2007 2:05 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Temlakos wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>> Steven Stern wrote:

> As Erich points out, you can download the RPM from Livna.
>
> I build from source. It's pretty easy:
>
> svn checkout http://svn.madwifi.org/trunk madwifi
> cd madwifi
> make
> make install
>
> The first time you install, use "modprobe ath_pci" before rebooting.
>

>>> Well the make install must be quite a program. I'm old and I recall
>>> you must compile both the things in the kernel and all the modules. I
>>> really don't see how that can part of the make install.
>>>
>>> And the yum of a kernel FAILED because I already have a later kernel.
>>> It might have madwifi but I can't find it.
>>>
>>> This whole thing is just a pain!
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>
>> The program kmod-madwifi is the /kernel module/ for madwifi. The key:
>> you must install a kernel module built specially for the kernel you
>> want to run it with.
>>
>> Question for everyone: does the new kernel have any of its own WiFi
>> code, and if so, does that code substitute for MADWifi for use with
>> Atheros-based wireless NICs?
>>
>> Temlakos
>>
>     It does. I have wifi on MY laptop now and I had to go to the F7
> updated kernel which is Fedora (2.6.21-1.3228.fc7)
>    which has the old ath_pci and supporting things in it's module stack.
> I had the new kernel that is 3232 that has a lot of the new wifi stuff
> but not madwifi.

> I need to do some cleanup and am writing a paper on how to get your
> linux to do wifi. It will be long but much more structured than the help
> I get here.

> Karl

Sorry to rain on your parade here.  8-)

Well let us see what I can find...

Google search:

Linux wifi  -  8,210,000 hits in 0.11 seconds.
Linux MADwifi  -  977,000 hits in 0.10 seconds

Yahoo search:

Linux wifi  -  23,800,000 hits in 0.31 seconds
Linux MADwifi  -  415,000 hits in 0.22 seconds

Answers search:

Linux wifi  -  514,000 hits
Linux MADwifi  -  230 hits for books about this subject

  David