Re: NetworkManager Problem

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Obviously you have a problem but you chose the wrong solution. NM makes
> wireless easy, network makes it hard. You have disabled the network
> init.d script from running. If not that may be your problem.

If WiFi is working, NM is great.
If WiFi is not working, NM just adds to the problem,
since you don't know if the difficult lies in NM,
or in the underlying connection.

You should say, "NM made wireless easy for me".

I have a card in one laptop - Orinoco Classic Gold PCMCIA card -
which works perfectly without NM,
but which does not work with NM.
NM actually gives the log message, "Get another card"!

Basically, NM expects the WiFi device to have a certain scanning facility
which is not actually necessary for WiFi connection,
and which this Orinoco card does not have, at least as NM expects.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366