Re: NetworkManager Problem

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 09:11 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 17:30 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
I am working with this software on my lap-top but I set it up also on this computer. This morning I had a strange thing happen. I lost the Internet! I am tied to a router with cat 5 cable that has worked for 3 years.

So read the /var/log/messages and sure enough about the time I lost the Internet Network Manager had messed up and disconnected eth0! I rebooted and it all came back up and I got rid of NetworkManager :-)

Karl

Obviously you have a problem but you chose the wrong solution. NM makes
wireless easy, network makes it hard. You have disabled the network
init.d script from running. If not that may be your problem.
Nonsense. Space is blue and birds fly through it. -- Heisenberg

Non-sense it was NM that turned off eth0. Here is /var/log/message for the event:

I by accident loaded NM on this computer which has only one source of the Internet from eth0. It was working fine and no problems until about 8AM when it appeared the Internet had failed. I could not get Google on my web browser. A hint I missed was that when I tried to reach my DSL modem with a call of 192.168.0.1 it failed. I know now it failed because eth0 was turned off by NM.

This is what /var/log/messages tells me:

Jul  5 08:08:02 localhost kernel:  sdc: sdc1
Jul  5 08:08:04 localhost hald: mounted /dev/sdc1 on behalf of uid 500
Jul 5 08:08:41 localhost hald: unmounted /dev/sdc1 from '/media/disk' on behalf
 of uid 500
Jul 5 08:17:45 localhost NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_signal_handler(): Caught si
gnal 15, shutting down normally.
Jul 5 08:17:45 localhost NetworkManager: <info> Caught terminiation signal
Jul  5 08:17:45 localhost NetworkManager: <info>  Deactivating device eth0.
Jul 5 08:17:45 localhost dhclient: DHCPRELEASE on eth0 to 192.168.0.1 port 67 Jul 5 08:17:46 localhost avahi-daemon[2409]: Withdrawing address record for 192
.168.0.2 on eth0.
Jul 5 08:17:46 localhost avahi-daemon[2409]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on in
terface eth0.IPv4 with address 192.168.0.2.
Jul 5 08:17:46 localhost avahi-daemon[2409]: Interface eth0.IPv4 no longer rele
vant for mDNS.
Jul 5 08:17:46 localhost avahi-daemon[2409]: Withdrawing address record for fe8
0::250:2cff:fea8:69f3 on eth0.
Jul  5 08:17:46 localhost avahi-daemon[2409]: Leaving mD

When a computer with just one source of Internet has that turned off by NM it is a serious Bug I think. Your better at reading the messages and perhaps you can find a reason I missed.

Karl
Well I noticed you posted tis on the networkmanagers-list. Maybe some one there has an idea.
What I see is thatt NM was responding to a termination signal generated
on your machine: What generated the signal seems to be the mystery.
Executive ability is prominent in your make-up.

Hi Aaron it is a dead issue now. I took the advice of Timothy Murphy and turned off NM from running. I have now been looking at the real issues in getting WiFi working.

It turns out iwconfig and iwlist and iwspy and iwpriv and iwevent are all tools to set up the WiFi and all have man pages. I need to learn how to use these tools to an effect.

Karl