Re: SATA problems

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 19:54 +0530, Rohan Kulkarni wrote:

SNIP!!

> Hello,
>         My SATA drive provides me a copy speed of only 15MB/s while
> one of my friends using
>         opensuse 10.2 with an Intel P4 and a Seagate SATA 80GB HDD
> gets almost double the
>         copy speed.I use Fedora 7.Why is there such a large speed
> difference?
>                                                           Thank you

Copy speed is affected by many things in addition to processor speed,
memory, and drive physics.  The head seek time, rotational speed, burst
write speed, interface to the system, and internal buss speed to name
just a few of the physics of the drives, all impact the drive
performance and are not related to the number of "bits per second".
File size vs buffer size on the drive, whether the copy was on a single
drive or across drives, whether the drives were on a single buss or
different busses, and other esoteric details will affect the speed.  The
format will also affect the speed.  The raid form, whether it is
stripped, or blocked, and so forth.  Basically to learn what affects the
speed of your particular system, you need to do lots of leg work on
discovering the physical connections, the drive characteristics and so
forth.  Is this badly impacting your daily use of the system?  If it is
important to you to get the highest speed, you will want to look at
possibly spending large on hardware.  That is the basis of high speed,
and results from the price of the hardware, and precision of the
electronics to controll the servo systems for the drive speed and head
movement.  The other bits, which bus interfaces are used, and how they
are accessed are functions of the Motherboard and/or subsystems such as
add on boards either 16,32, or 64 bits, and what the interface paths to
these boards are like.  Again more money probably will give you a better
designed MB with attending gains in speed.  Processor speed is secondary
to this business.  Most processors today are plenty fast enough to
overrun the drives, so look to other areas of the hardware.  Especially
on copy operations.  Some systems can implement a dma-dma copy and the
processor doesn't even get involved once the paths are set up, other
than yeilding memory cycles for DMA (which are often not used externally
anyway.)

	In short, none of us can tell you why there are speed differences
without a lot of data about both systems.  Some folks here with raid
experience may be able to suggest places to look for some "quick
checks", but speed is never easy, whether it is boats, cars, motorcycles
or computers.

Regards,
Les H