Re: Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

on 7/5/2007 4:42 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Not very important though.
>> My point really was that since one would presumably
>> have to go to freshrpms.net anyway to find out about it,
>> it didn't matter too much whether RedHat gave a pointer or not.
>
> How do you suggest that a new user might find out, for example, that
> Nvidia gives away a driver and others package it for easy installation
> in fedora?  - All perfectly legal and something many users would like to
> know how to find.

You talkin' ta me Les?  ;-)  Probably not.  <sigh>

First, before the speech. You mentioned nVidia by name. So here is a
'readme" for those that are interested. It is about 9 months old but it
just goes to show what closed source software can do for you.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/7228

You asked: How would I do this if I was a Linux Newbie today?

I would know enough about the Linux OS, in this case Fedora it could be
any of many other Linux distributions, that I was thinking about
installing on my computer *before* I installed anything or even downloaded
anything.

I would do some basic research, some basic reading, some Google searches.
I would look for the easy to find installation instructions like those
that Rahul, and others, have worked so hard to provide that are on the
Fedora Wiki site. As well read the FAQs and the known problems and
suggestions for solutions that are also easily found on the Wiki site.
Don't know where the Wiki site is? Google 'fedora' the hits fill the
screen, there 10 pages of hits, and the first two hits on the first page -
click - and you are at the Wiki and/or help pages.

The very last thing I would do would be to ask on a list like this only
because you have to know what you do not understand before you can ask
intelligent questions. Have you not seen people trying to help Newbies and
that sometimes they have to pry the needed information out of them to help
them? Here is where you would find the hints, tips and information,
provided by list users, to the third party sites for the non supported
software. The information that Fedora can not provide, or chooses not to
provide, for what appears to me to be legal issues and Fedora policies.

I would think that only a fool would attempt to install an OS before they
even knew if their hardware was supported.

That is what I did many, many years ago, before I downloaded the first
ISO. In those days there might have been two CD ISOs. As I recall the
first time it was one.

And that's my 2 cents.
--

  David