Re: Connecting an extra computer to Internet

On 7/5/07, Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Is your modem a separat "box" fromt the PC?
> >>
> >> If it is, how does it connect to your PC?  Perhaps via USB?
> >
> > Yes, Steve, it is a separate "box", and I connect it to my PC with a
> > cable through the embodied Ethernet card.
> >

> Do you know what make & model the modem is, and
> have you checked the documentation and manufacturer's
> site?  From another post where you say it's managed
> through a web interface I think it could be a router
> without a switch (they do exist), but it's not
> possible to confirm this without a model number.
>
> If the web interface mentions DHCP I'd say the odds
> go up significantly.  Also if you can find out what
> gateway your computer is using for its net connection
> a private subnet would probably indicate a router.[1]
>
> [1] I don't know for certain, but I think both of these
>      could be present even if your modem wasn't a proper
>      router.  It would be odd though.

The details of my SpeedTouch modem are:

Product Name:   ST5x6v6
Serial Number:  CP0702DTRSH
Software Release:       6.1.0.5
Software Variant:       CN
Boot Loader Version:    1.0.6
Product Code:   3594263A
Board Name:     BANT-V

And there is a section there (in the modem configuration interface)
called "Home Network", with the following:

Ethernet Interface	Ethernet
	ethport1
(100Mbps)

Notwithstanding, in the modem there is no physical way of connecting
another cable.

Paul