Re: CNN video

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 10:08 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
> I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.12 . .  and installed the video downloader
> extension.  I have pretty much given up on the major broadcasters, and
> their media consolidation propaganda generating role in the U.S.  BBC,
> France 24, Iran's Press TV, Al-Jazeerha, IHT, etc. aren't too bad for
> getting world news.  Not sure how to download and view their videos,
> though.  I have really low speeds on my DSL service here in the middle
> of the Iowa corn fields.  Would be nice to be able to download and play
> as files.  Any suggestions?

The first would have been to try a video downloader extension, but
you've said you've tried that.  You might want to try another one out.

Alternatively, you can do things the hard way.  Find out the URI for the
video, either by looking at the page source, or right-clicking on a link
and copying the URI.  Then use something like mplayer to stream it to a
local file.

e.g. mplayer -dumpstream http://example.com/

Replacing the web address in that example with the one you want to
fetch.

If the link refers to a referring file, rather than the media file
itself, such as a M3U, PLS, or other format, playlist sort of thing,
then you could do something like this, instead:

e.g. mplayer -dumpstream -playlist http://example.com/

Or, look through the downloaded playlist file to work out the actual
address, and plug that into the first example.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.