Re: serial8250: too much work for irq17

Steven Stern wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Steven Stern wrote:
>>> After upgrading from FC6 to F7, I see the following as I boot
>>>
>>> Jul  3 22:04:43 sds-desk kernel: serial8250: too much work for irq17
>>> Jul  3 22:04:43 sds-desk kernel: serial8250: too much work for irq17
>>>
>>> Is this serious?
>> It is definitely strange. Where did you get a card using a 8250 UART
>> that is using IRQ 17? I didn't think anybody used them any more, as
>> they are a UART without a transmit/receive buffer. Considering that
>> it would be generating an interrupt for each character, you would
>> not want it on a high IRQ. On the other hand, the device is probably
>> not reporting itself correctly. If it does have a 8250 UART on it,
>> see if you can change the IRQ to 3 or 4.
>
>> Mikkel
>

> Here's some possible hardware (from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf)
>
> class: OTHER
> bus: PCI
> detached: 0
> desc: "Intel Corporation FA82537EP 56K V.92 Data/Fax Modem PCI"
> vendorId: 8086
> deviceId: 1080
> subVendorId: 1028
> subDeviceId: 1000
> pciType: 1
> pcidom:    0
> pcibus:  4
> pcidev:  1
> pcifn:  0

Yes, that is probably the problem hardware. For some reason, some
modems will report that they are a 8250 UART, but they behave more
like at 16550, with both send and receive FIFO buffers. They may or
may not support the 16550 registers for controlling them. I don't
remember all the details any more - I have not had to deal with them
for a long time.

Mikkel