Re: pcHDTV and Fedora 7?

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:24:44 -0400
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Or maybe I'll wait a while and see if they come
> >> out with a cable card compatible version so I
> >> can watch encrypted channels too...
> >
> That is NOT gonna happen as that cable specific encryption is their 'vendor
> lock-in' & is considered as a non-negotiable theft preventative measure.

Yea, but as of July 1st the FCC rules went into effect mandating
that consumers should be able to own their own cable boxes and
just get a cable card for the encryption and authorization bit.
This is all supposed to be standardized now, so it should be possible
for vendors to turn out TV cards that have cable card slots in them
(in theory :-).