VLC for Fedora 7

              Movies on Fedora Core 7

I have the VLC software working with copyrighted DVD's on Fedora Core 6. It was easy to do. All I did was this: # yum install vlc and it took awhile because there were over 10 dependant rpm's that needed to be included. When it was all over I put a DVD in the reader and watched it full screen! It was amazing.

Today I'm on Fedora 7 which, by the way is working just fine so far, and I expect to stay here. But I tried to get vlc and it didn't work. I asked on this list and got a lot of answers but 2 were critical to getting vlc working on Fedora 7.

I learned I needed another place to get software with yum. I got a lot of hints. But then I heard from Nigel Henry and Gary Harthill. Gary has been around and he has made rpm files of the proper files to make yum work. It is at http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/ and the web page is very clear. They could use some help.

The yum was successful and I have turned it on and it works, but. I can see and hear small files on my computer that are .wmv types. But can't watch DVD Movies. This is where Nigel suggested I need one more file that will make viewing copyrighted DVD' possible. We tried a couple that didn't work and then I went to my FC6 /usr/lib/ and found the name we were looking for. I put it in yum and it was loaded and it works. What I used is:

# yum install libdvdcss.i386 0:1.2.9-4.lvn6 and it worked great. So here is all you need to do to get vlc working. I suggest you delete totem which claims to show movies but can't.

Karl