Re: CNN video

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 09:37 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I've been wishing that somehow, someone would manage to get it all in
> one sock someday, this 10+ copies of "browsername-version/plugins" dir
> crap in at least 2 branches of the filesystem tree is a genuine PITA
> when doing browseer updates and has been for years.

I've found that, for quite some time, probably since FC4, that most
plug-ins are automatically installed into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and
they work for all browsers.

Almost likewise for search engine plug-ins (they work if put there, but
a user can't automatically install them there).  Thankfully, someone
finally fixed that so users wanting to install search engine plug-ins,
can do so - they're installed into their personal space.

The /usr/lib/firefox-x.y.z mish-mash of directories only need to hold
things specific to those particular versions of the web browser.  Oddly,
older ones don't seem to get removed when updating the browser.  Well,
they're devoid of any files other than the plug-ins, on mine (which are
really links to the flash plug-in).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.