Re: VLC on F7?

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Sunday 01 July 2007 17:50, Karl Larsen wrote:
Nigel Henry wrote:
On Sunday 01 July 2007 13:18, Karl Larsen wrote:
Erich Zigler wrote:
On Saturday 30 June 2007 20:08:19 Karl Larsen wrote:
    I wanted to get VLC on this new F7 I have updated and got working
very well. But on FC6 all I did was yum install vlc and it worked
fine. But on F7 it gave up nothing to do. Is there a way to get it to
look for it as if it is FC^?
To install VLC you will need to configure an additional yum repository
such as:

http://rpm.livna.org/

or

http://freshrpms.net/

- Erich

Thanks Erich, but I have no idea how to configure additional
repository. I will try man yum.
Karl
And if you want packages from Freshrpms.

Go to:  http://moonshine.freshrpms.net

Next, click on "apt, yum, and others" (just below the logo)

There's no entry for F7, but click on the Fedora Core 6 one, as the
layout of the URL's in /etc/yum.repos.d is such that your version of
Fedora is checked in /etc/fedora-release, then the correct repo is
accessed for your Fedora version.

Ok. Having clicked on Fedora Core 6. On the next page click on the
"freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpm" line.  If you're using Firefox a
box will open asking what to do with the download. Click on install it.
You'll be asked for your root password, then the package installer will
open. Ok it and the package will be installed.

Look in /etc/yum.repos.d, and you will have a new file for freshrpms.
open it, and it should look like this.

# $Id: freshrpms.repo 3341 2005-06-28 18:40:26Z thias $
[freshrpms]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Freshrpms
#baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/fres
hrpms/
mirrorlist=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/mirrors-fres
hrpms enabled=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms
gpgcheck=1

Ok. Close the editor, and firefox. Open a terminal, su to root, and do a
yum install vlc . This will pull in a bunch of dependencies, (about 11). Also do a yum install livdvdcss if you need to play DVD's that need to
be decrypted so as to play them.
    Hi Nigel I do need livdvdcss but when I try to do so yum fools
around and says nothing to do. Could the name be wrong?

Karl

Hi Karl. At the freshrpms repo it's named libdvdcss, but on a Debian repo it's named libdvdcss2. I havn't looked on the Livna repo, but perhaps it's named libdvdcss2 there too. Or open Yumex, and have a look to see how it's named.

I don't use Yum, but Apt, and often use synaptic, Apts GUI, to look for packages, when I'm not sure how they're named.

Nigel.

 Well Nigel I went and looked at my /usr/lib/ and I put that in and yum installed this: libdvdcss.i386 0:1.2.9-4.lvn6
and it WORKS!
   I am now watching/listening to the Honeymooners so back to the fun.

Karl