Re: VLC on F7?

On Sunday 01 July 2007 17:50, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:

> >> Karl
> >
> > And if you want packages from Freshrpms.
> >
> > Go to:  http://moonshine.freshrpms.net
> >
> > Next, click on "apt, yum, and others" (just below the logo)
> >
> > There's no entry for F7, but click on the Fedora Core 6 one, as the
> > layout of the URL's in /etc/yum.repos.d is such that your version of
> > Fedora is checked in /etc/fedora-release, then the correct repo is
> > accessed for your Fedora version.
> >
> > Ok. Having clicked on Fedora Core 6. On the next page click on the
> > "freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpm" line.  If you're using Firefox a
> > box will open asking what to do with the download. Click on install it.
> > You'll be asked for your root password, then the package installer will
> > open. Ok it and the package will be installed.
> >
> > Look in /etc/yum.repos.d, and you will have a new file for freshrpms.
> > open it, and it should look like this.
> >
> > # $Id: freshrpms.repo 3341 2005-06-28 18:40:26Z thias $
> > [freshrpms]
> > name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Freshrpms
> > #baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/fres
> >hrpms/
> > mirrorlist=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/mirrors-fres
> >hrpms enabled=1
> > gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms
> > gpgcheck=1
> >
> > Ok. Close the editor, and firefox. Open a terminal, su to root, and do a
> > yum install vlc . This will pull in a bunch of dependencies, (about 11).
> > Also do a yum install livdvdcss  if you need to play DVD's that need to
> > be decrypted so as to play them.
>
>     Hi Nigel I do need livdvdcss but when I try to do so yum fools
> around and says nothing to do. Could the name be wrong?
>
> Karl

Hi Karl. At the freshrpms repo it's named libdvdcss, but on a Debian repo it's
named libdvdcss2. I havn't looked on the Livna repo, but perhaps it's named
libdvdcss2 there too. Or open Yumex, and have a look to see how it's named.

I don't use Yum, but Apt, and often use synaptic, Apts GUI, to look for
packages, when I'm not sure how they're named.

Nigel.