Re: fonts in firefox

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 09:44 -0700, Tom Spec wrote:
> I am trying to start using Fedora on the desktop, but one thing that
> really bothers me is that the fonts often look pretty bad in firefox
> (compared to how they look in Windows.)  I notice this in particular
> at Yahoo Mail.  Are there any quick fixes for this?  Maybe I am
> missing some packages or something?

I notice the opposite - Firefox, generally, looking better on my Linux
boxes.  You might want to define what you mean by bad a bit better.
Small fonts, ugly fonts, low resolution blocky looking fonts...

Websites often specify certain fonts to be used, and your system may not
have them.  It may substitute fonts that are okay, it may pick something
that's not good.  It depends on what's available, and how the font lists
are set up (you can customise the replacement table).

One thing I do after installing an OS is add more fonts.  There are some
quite nice looking ones that aren't installed by default.  The same goes
for various international fonts.  I mightn't be able to read them, but
pages look better with the right characters instead of a lot of question
marks or numbers in boxes.

You could also have a general rendering issue.  Are you using a lower
resolution screen mode on Linux?  Do fonts used outside of Firefox look
better?

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386