Re: Skype and Linux

On 2007-06-27, 19:36 GMT, Nigel Henry wrote:
> The Skype folks were giving you file references for the Debian
> OS. In Debian, /etc/modprobe.d has a bunch of files. Alsa-base
> is the one they were referencing, but I normally put any
> changes I want to make in another file, which as default is
> empty, and named "sound".
>
> Back to Fedora: The file that is used for all this stuff in Fedora
> is /etc/modprobe.conf.

This is not correct -- take a look at modprobe(8) and
modprobe.conf(5), Fedora has exactly the same configuration as
Debian (I know, I used both).  I have here all my files in
/etc/modprobe.d and everything works like a charm. The only
caveat is (both at Debian and here) that when there is
/etc/modprobe.conf modprobe takes configuration from there, and
only if it isn't present it goes to individual files in
/etc/modprobe.d. Remove your /etc/modprobe.conf (of course,
compare its content with the content of /etc/modprobe.d files
first) and files in /etc/modprobe.d will be taken into
consideration.

Best,

Matěj Cepl