Re: Skype and Linux

On 26Jun2007 16:53, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    It never got old like the FC4 model did and it works very well with good
> results for a few weeks. But last week it went bad. I could hear everyone
> fine but they could not hear me, and Skype told me in cryptic terms what
> was wrong. It says
> " Call Failed Problem with Audio Capture". So I sent all this to Skype and
> they sent me this:
>
> 1.  Uncomment these lines in the /etc/modules.d/alsa file and replaced
> "driver" with "intel8x0" :
> > > # Replace "driver" with the driver for you soundcard
> > > alias snd-card-0 snd-driver
> > > alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>
> 2. Add this line (this likewise seemed to have no effect):
> > > options snd-pcm-oss nonblock_open=1
[...]
>    Of course we don't have a /etc/modules.d/ but we have a /lib/modules/
> and somewhere in there is a alsa or alsa-mixer because it is in the kernel
> right now.

Stay out of /lib/modules.
The file you want is /etc/modprobe.conf.

The file is only consulted when a module is loaded - if your sound
modules are already loaded then changes to the file have no immediate
effect.

> But my question to this group is, do I dare do this sort of
> thing to a kernel module?

Sure, but make sure you keep a copy of the original file before you change
it. That way it is easy to revert.

Depending on the kernel and modules you may need to reboot between tests
(modify file, reboot, try skype, lather rinse, repeat). In principle you
don't need to reboot, but my module fu is weak.

Also, a reboot is a "full test" in the sense that you are testing how the
machine will behave "from scratch", which you need to know anyway.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/