Re: en US.UTF-8 not displaying diacritical characters?

Thanks for your response Tim. After poking around some more on the
forums I realized I wasn't asking exactly the right question. I
did change my terminal settings however as per your suggestion!

I have a bunch of files on my Fedora box that I've copied over
from a Windows machine. Some of the filenames contain diacritical
characters (French accented characters for example). I'm trying
to read these files in to a Java app, but the app both interprets the
filename incorrectly (when compared to the Windows counterpart) and
fails to load in the file.

As an example, it displays what should be a 'é' as the
square box.

Java grabs the locale from the system, and it believes it to be
'UTF-8' on Linux and 'Cp1252' on Windows. Also,
even after changing my console to expect UTF-8 encoded characters, it
still does not display the characters correctly.

Thanks again for your time!

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=181681&topic_id=39996&forum=10#forumpost181681
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and/or blame jmcphail@xxxxxxxxxxx