Re: F7 Cups idling at booting

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 09:18 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
> Computer has the name MAXDATA but if I issue
> $ host maxdata
>
> I get
>
> Host maxdata not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> while if I issue  host localhost
> I get immediately
> localhost has address 127.0.0.1

I would have expected starting X to be a problem, too, if you were
having hostname resolution issues.  Things that do reverse lookups, as
well, might take even more time than things that don't.

Do you have a local DNS server that resolves names?  If so, maxdata
should be an entry in the local zone records.

If you're not using one, you can put an entry for maxdata in
the /etc/hosts file.  If the PC is on a LAN where other computers are
networked, then apply it to the LAN address.

e.g. Add a line like the following to the /etc/hosts file, changing the
IP address to whatever it is:

192.168.1.1 maxdata

Alternatively, if the machine is only ever used in a stand-alone
fashion, you could tag the hostname onto the *end* of the localhost line
in the /etc/hosts file.

e.g. 127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain  localhost  maxdata

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.