Re: Can not run Programs that Require Root Access

Ashley Pritchard wrote:
hello,

I have recently installed Fedora 7 on my machine & got it working for the
most part ie...adding DVD, mp3 support etc...but now when I login to my user
account from GDM into Gnome I am not able to use any programs that require
root access. If the Package updater pops up with updates I click on view
packages & it asks for my root password. I enter it & nothing happens & it
does the same thing for all programs that need root access.

Something wrong there.  You evidently know the password since
you can get a login at the console.  What other programs that
need root access?

File a bug.  You need to find out why this is happening; everything
else is a workaround.

I have tried disabling selinux, not installing selinux updates, deleting the
user account & creating a completely new user account with a different user
name & I have also reinstalled the OS because of this issue and here I am
back full circle. I have tried running the program through a terminal. Loged
in as root from my user account I tried running the command 'pup' for the
package updater & I get the following info:

Xlib: No protocol specified

<snip>

It was suggested to me from someone on a listserve to try this command

It was in fact this list.  Please avoid starting a new thread for the
same issue; people then have to go hunting for the previous discussion.

'xhost +localhost' & 'kdesu pup' so I did & got the following info:

[awp@localhost ~]$ xhost +localhost
localhost being added to access control list
[awp@localhost ~]$ su root
Password:
[root@localhost awp]# xhost +localhost
Xlib: No protocol specified

I'm not sure xhost +localhost is sufficient.  Incidentally
it's not expected that you then run it as root, you should
be trying to run pup at this point.  Is XAUTHORITY set?

[root@localhost awp]# kdesu pup
Xlib: No protocol specified

kdesu: cannot connect to X server :0.0
so neither command resolved the issue.

kdesu should be run as a normal user: it's the kde equivalent
to the gnome administrator password dialog, and semantically
equivalent to sudo.

Then it was suggested to that I was actually logging into root the wrong
way. Do not ask me how since 'su root' has been the way i logged into root
since the old red hat days. So they said I should try 'su - root' so I did.
Well it turns out that 'su - root' does the same thing as 'su root'

It does not.  "su -" or "su -l" asks for a login shell,
environment variables like PATH will be set correctly,
not inherited from your existing shell.  "root" is taken
as read so 'su -l root' is equivalent to 'su -'.  However
I don't find that not using a login shell prevents X apps
from working here.  When changing shell to root you /should/
use 'su -' (or 'su - root' if you prefer), 'su root' is a
security risk as your environment variables will be unchanged.

Have you done anything odd to your hostname?  How are you
running the shell you use when su-ing to root?

--
imalone