Re: DVI output, ATI or nVidia

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
For the sort of thing open source can provide even without actually
"fixing" a bug myself, see:

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/easy-linux.html

Of course, those are many great examples of the benefits of open
source. It certainly doesn't change the fact that open source bugs
don't necessarily get fixed any faster than closed source bugs.

It is a lot better to not have to go out and update drivers for every kernel release. Personally, I choose open code and specs. You do have a point that neither bugs experienced in vendor only supported drivers and openly available code and known specifications ensures someone or group will fix the problem.

The point here is that someone claimed that going with the open source
intel drivers means that someone would get better support.  That claim
is silly because 'support' is a rather vague concept, and my idea of
support likely differs from someone else's.

I liked the times that I needed to try and work with developers through submitting bug reports and testing their proposed solutions. Neither upstream developers or RedHat developers seemed to outwardly make one feel inferior due to my lesser knowledge of the problems. It was a learning experience and the bugs were removed from the Intel driver source code once found. With closed source drivers it becomes an expedition to find a suitable driver to run hardware in a suitable manner. Since Linux distributions vary enough with compilers used and their frequency of updates, an open driver which the code can be updated and compiled for optimum performance would sell more hardware in my view. Of course the sales for closed drivers for hardware probably has less impact than I would expect.

I am using a laptop with a radeon card which has some 3D support for the particular chipset. The computer with the NVidia card has only 2D with the open nv driver. So I would suggest Intel, then radeon, then maybe NVidia. SIS, MGA and S3 for 3D support I am not sure of how well they work, if at all. I only tried 2D on those machines to date.

Jim

--
Your picture of the world often changes just before you get it into focus.