Re: DVI output, ATI or nVidia

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

On 6/26/07, Mario Rossi <mariofutire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>    I've seen something with nVidia GE 7XXX or GE 8XXX.
>>    Alternative is ATI 1650SE
>>    Or should I go for one Intel integrated?

>Yes.

>Intel integrated + ADD2 DVI card + "intel" xorg driver
>= open source solution.

>The Intel driver is open source, not a binary blob.

Thanks.
You mean that the open source driver for Intel card has a much better
support than the open source driver for ATI and nVidia.

I think I will investigate again and look for the one you mentioned.

Granted, I work at NVIDIA, so my opinions are going to be slanted
here, but I don't see how one defines support as better in one driver
versus the other unless you've got some written contract guarenteeing
a particular level of support.

"Support" in this case means "I have source and can fix it if I need to". It is not obscured by a large binary blob that the user cannot touch. Support contracts have little or nothing to do with it.

My problem with the Intel hardware is that it is damned hard or impossible to get for some environments. You can't just go down to the store and buy an Intel video card. You either replace your motherboard and/or system and buy something that has an Intel card inside. (And if you want/need an AMD64 you are just screwed.)

Of the closed source video card vendors, nVIDIA does a better job supporting Linux in my opinion. (They at least attempt to support all of their currently shipping cards, unlike ATI.) Although I am still abit pissed off about the sudden drop of support for the 440go in the supported drivers. (Replacing a video card in a laptop is not a viable option without buying something like Alienware or buying a new laptop.)

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct