Re: DVI output, ATI or nVidia

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 04:26:04PM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
If only that were true... NVidia has stated plenty times that they don't
make many parts of the cards (which leads me to think they're crapware
producers) as the reason for not publishing.

You've come to this conclusion because personally know of numerous
other hardware companies that do design every single component that
goes into their products?

What's this got to do with it? I'm not criticizing it, I'm saying it's a
lame excuse. Others don't feel that as a problem, NVidia only does it,
in great part I suspect, due to DRM.

DRM is an even lamer excuse. Anyone who wants to break the copy protection is going to do it before it hits the video card anyways. But companies like Macrovision who have a business model of "DRM in every part of your life" want every little bit covered no matter how obnoxious it is to the users, the hardware manufacturers or the laws of thermodynamics.

It was like Matrox's HAL library. According to one engineer I spoke with, the only reason that they did not open source the library was because of the one bit that would turn macrovision on and off. That silly mindset still exists amongst the lunatics at the RIAA/MPAA/DRM-pushers.

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct