Re: DVI output, ATI or nVidia

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 04:26:04PM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> >If only that were true... NVidia has stated plenty times that they don't
> >make many parts of the cards (which leads me to think they're crapware
> >producers) as the reason for not publishing.
>
> You've come to this conclusion because personally know of numerous
> other hardware companies that do design every single component that
> goes into their products?

What's this got to do with it? I'm not criticizing it, I'm saying it's a
lame excuse. Others don't feel that as a problem, NVidia only does it,
in great part I suspect, due to DRM.

> >Besides, the biggest trade secret might be that many things are done in
> >software at the main CPU instead of the GPU. Who knows... maybe you're
> >eating a cat while wondering what a nice rabbit stew NVidia allowed you
> >to use.

> >can
> >>
> >> IMO, qemu, bochs, xen, and whatever are just not as easy to use.
> >
> >plonk... any user who uses virtualization shouldn't be so technically
> >challenged as to think qemu is hard at all to use...
>
> Clearly you've never used vmware if that's your opinion.  The learning
> curve required to use vmware is almost flat.  The learning curve
> required to use qemu, bochs, kvm and especially xen is incredibly
> steep.

I'm not saying which is easiest to use, that's a shallow point. I'm just
wondering how anyone can find qemu's learning curve steep... but maybe
that's just me.

> >I don't know enough about GPUs to say what's enough, but if you compare
> >Intels behaviour with that of NVidia with such dismissal... I'd say you
> >know even less.
>
> So you don't know enough about a topic, yet you've formed very strong
> opinions, and have attempted to force them on others?

Again the false "force" argument. I don't remembering forcing anyone,
but maybe I have alzheimer's, who knows...

> >My older GeForce that I got rid of isn't any longer supported by NVidia.
>
> That is patently untrue.  All GeForce cards are still fully supported
> by NVIDIA.

Was some time ago, but this list does seem to be longer now, and
maybe it includes it. I got rid of it 5 or 6 years ago, so I can't
remember anymore the precise model.

(list: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html )

> >I wouldn't be able to use FC7 in that computer. Fortunately I bought a
> >fully supported ATI card, a 7200, and today lo and behold... I even get
> >a fast compiz there!
> >
> >What about PPC people? Are they forbidden to have a graphics card
> >because NVidia doesn't care about them?
>
> What leads you to that conclusion?

No PPC driver here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Also no driver for OpenBSD people.

> >*sigh* This is even denser that an idiot who defends DRM.
>
> Seeing as how nearly every comment & opinion that you've stated above
> is based on false information, I don't think you're in any position to
> be calling anyone dense or an idiot.

Suits you fine, it would seem.

Rui

--
P'tang!
Today is Pungenday, the 32nd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?